I love teaching emotional intelligence and consultative selling skills. Development of both skills make a real difference in hard sales results.
However, there is another selling skill to deploy in order to win business and that is good ‘ole fashioned creativity. We all know and complain that we live in an information loaded, busy world, which makes creativity even more important in order to get our prospect’s attention. Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing and prospects doors opened.
- Put a google alert on your top targets. When you read or hear something in the news, send them a ‘Kudos’ candy bar, congratulating them on their success.
- Send a tennis shoe, preferably not worn or smelly, with a note saying you are trying to get a foot in the door.
- Call their office and find someone who can tell you about the person’s favorite sports team. Buy a hat and send a note expressing your hope to get on his team of favorite vendors.
- Take a picture of yourself in front of the prospect’s building. Send a note stating that you are trying to figure out a way to gain entry into their account.
- Send a card with a bunch of people smiling and laughing. Inside the card write that these are just a few of your happy clients. Can I have the opportunity to make you one?
- Send a $1 bill with a note saying you’d like to help your prospect make more of these and/or save more of these.
I would love to hear your most creative ideas for opening up opportunities. Creativity will help you hit the fun quota and the sales quota.